We have scheduled the Kiwanis Friends' Ball for May 5, 2023 from 6 to 9 PM. It will be held at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) as usual. This will be our 41st Kiwanis Friends' Ball.
The Kiwanis Friends; Ball is held each year to honor our Friends with intellectual and developmental challenges. For many of our Friends it may be the only party to which they are invited. Without a doubt, it is the most heartwarming event for us that we host. A good time is truly had by all - guests as well as volunteers.
As the longest running Kiwanis event in the area this will be our 41st annual event. Held in May to coincide with school Proms, it is designed to provide a Formal party for those with disabilities so they can have their own special night out. We offer our Friends a night of love, fun, dancing and inclusion. Dressed to the nines, our Friends will dance their hearts out to a playlist from our DJ. Please remember that Friends require a chaperone with them when they attend. Chaperones please be on hand before 9 PM to escort our guests home.
Since 2001, the Ball has been held at ERAU and we appreciate their support. Volunteers are comprised of Kiwanis members, their families, as well as non-members.
Kiwanis applauds the many organizations such as ARC and WORD who provide services all year to our Friends.
A Brief History
- 1980 - Gene Gabriel of ARC spoke to the Kiwanis Club in Port Orange and indicated that ARC Friends did not have any social activities.
- 1980 - The Kiwanis Club of Ormond Beach answered the call and created a Prom for our Friends with disabilities through 1988.
- 1989 - The Kiwanis Club of Southeast Volusia (our club) took over responsibility for the Ball.
- 2001 - Previous Balls were held at local hotels. In 2001 the Ball was moved to ERAU where it is still held today.
- 2019 - We hosted 300+ Friends for another fun Ball.
- 2020 – Due to the coronavirus restrictions, we had to postpone the Ball.
- 2021 – Due to the coronavirus restrictions, we had to postpone the Ball.
- 2022 - Due to the coronavirus restrictions, we had to postpone the Ball
- 2023 - Yay! We are pleased to announce we have scheduled the Friends' Ball for Friday, May 5, 2023.
- Fred Heise provided the initial leadership for SEV Kiwanis running the Ball.
- Tom Lindzon provided leadership for many years.
- Brittany Rider is now the Chairperson for the event.
- Many Kiwanis club members, their families, and non-members volunteer at the Ball, serving food and beverages, and escorting our Friends to their seats when help is needed.