This year's Kiwanis Friends Ball WAS planned to be held at Embry-Riddle in September 2021. HOWEVER, like many social events, we have to postpose our Friend's Ball due to the current pandemic. Please come back to this page for further updates.
The Kiwanis Friends Ball is held each year to honor our Friends with intellectual and developmental disabilities. For many of our Friends it may be the only party to which they are invited. Without a doubt, it is the most heartwarming event for us that we host. A good time is truly had by all - guests as well as volunteers.
As the longest continuing running Kiwanis event in the area the planned event for 2020 would have been our 40th annual event. Held near the end of May to coincide with school Proms, it is designed to provide a Formal party for those with disabilities so they can have their own special night out. We offer our Friends a night of love, fun, dancing and inclusion. Dressed to the nines, our Friends dance their hearts out to the live music of the Quarter Notes who have provided entertainment since 2001. Please remember that Friends require a chaperone with them when they attend.
Since 2001, the Ball has been held at Embry-Riddle University and the venue, food and beverages have been donated. Volunteers are comprised of Kiwanis members, their families, as well as non-members.
Kiwanis applauds the many organizations such as ARC and WORD who provide services all year to our Friends with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
A Brief History
- 1980 - Gene Gabriel of ARC spoke to the Kiwanis Club in Port Orange and indicated that ARC Friends did not have any social activities.
- 1980 - The Kiwanis Club of Ormond Beach answered the call and created a Prom for our Friends with disabilities through 1988.
- 1989 - The Kiwanis Club of Southeast Volusia (our club) took over responsibility for the Ball.
- 2001 - Previous Balls were held at local hotels. In 2001 the Ball was moved to Embry-Riddle University where it is still today.
- 2019 - We hosted 300+ Friends for another fun Ball.
- 2020 – Due to the coronavirus restrictions, we had to postpone the Ball.
- 2021 – We are awaiting approval from Embry Riddle before scheduling the Ball for 2021.
- Fred Heise provided the initial leadership for SEV Kiwanis running the Ball.
- Tom Lindzon provided leadership for many years.
- Linda Pelliccioni is now the Chairperson for the event.
- Many Kiwanis club members, their families, and non-members volunteer at the Ball, serving food and beverages, and escorting our Friends to their seats when help is needed.